A good WooCommerce WordPress theme is your gateway to the e-commerce world of WordPress.
WooCommerce is huge. I mean, huge in terms of popularity and the degree to which it has taken over the web. For instance, just a couple of months ago, the WooCommerce team reported that the platform currently powers 30 percent of all e-commerce websites, and that it has reached more than 10 million downloads.
However, going back to my first thought, you can’t reap the benefits of it all without getting a great WooCommerce theme for your site.
But hold on…
What makes a quality WooCommerce theme anyway?
If I said “the looks” then I’d be oversimplifying things greatly.
A good WooCommerce theme is about so much more than that.
Or let’s take it even further … if you pick your WooCommerce theme based on the looks alone then you’re making a huge mistake. Here’s what to pay attention to instead:
- A good WooCommerce WordPress theme has a clear design. Good e-commerce is no place for flashy designs. “Flashy” doesn’t always sell. In fact, it rarely does. The very second your customer gets confused by the design, they lose the motivation to buy anything. A good e-commerce design should therefore be predictable. Nice, clear, and predictable.
- Good focus on the center block. The center block of the theme’s design/layout is where the products usually are in most e-commerce stores. That’s why the WooCommerce WordPress theme you choose needs to put sufficient focus on that area. Remember, the customers expect to find your products there.
- The theme needs to be responsive and mobile-friendly. This is a must. In this day and age, there’s really no excuse to have an e-commerce store that’s not fully accessible on mobile devices. Why? the mobile retail commerce revenue in the US is estimated to reach $22 billion in 2015.
- Adjustable number of sidebars. This sounds like a fairly basic feature, but not all WordPress themes actually allow you to adjust the number of sidebars that are displayed throughout various pages on the site. And this is an important feature for e-commerce (check out what Amazon does, for example, they’re the masters at this).
- Compatible with other plugins. The e-commerce space on WordPress is highly plugin-driven. WordPress is not e-commerce-enabled by default, so to speak. That’s why your theme has to go along well with other plugins that make running your store possible.
- Good navigation structure and navigation design/access. Good e-commerce is all about easy access to products and product categories. You simply need good navigation design to make that happen, and well-structured menus that work on all devices and screens. This way, you can make sure that the visitors can get to every corner of your online store easily.
- Effective way of showcasing featured offers. Most e-commerce stores run special promotions or offers that need an additional spotlight. A good theme should therefore make it possible to display those featured offers in an appealing manner.
- Multilingual. This is especially important for international stores.
- Social media integration. Get a theme that makes it easy for you to promote products directly to Facebook and other social platforms, and also allows your customers to share the products to their profiles.
Okay, so now that we know what makes a quality WooCommerce WordPress theme, let’s see the list:
Top WooCommerce Themes for WordPress
Flatsome is the no.1 bestselling WooCommerce WordPress theme at ThemeForest. It offers a load of nice and useful features, and also delivers on all of the most important WooCommerce theme characteristics:
- The design is clear. The theme follows the flat design trend.
- The products are clearly visible in the center part, and the whole presentation is not confusing.
- The theme is fully responsive and mobile-friendly (along with touch optimization).
- It offers unlimited sidebars and widget areas.
- The navigation is easy to follow (main menus and submenus).
- You can showcase featured offers via the custom Flatsome Page Builder (adjust whatever you like about the presentation).
- It’s translation-ready and supports some language packs out the box.
- Built-in social media integration.
Get it here Price: $59
02. Meridian One
Meridian One is an easy to customize, fully responsive, one-page WordPress theme that’s perfect for your online store needs. It comes packed with neat features, such as full WooCommerce support, but is still lightweight enough that your site’s speed and performance are never at risk.
Here’s what you get with Meridian One:
- Simple, smooth-scrolling one-page layout that’s minimal by nature
- Real-time customization using the WordPress Customizer – no code required
- Sticky menu for easier site navigation
- 11 built-in homepage sections
- Translation ready for multiple languages
- Unlimited color options for branding
- Cross-browser compatibility
Get it here Price: Free (premium version $59)
03. The Retailer
A modern-looking theme offering clear content presentation and an overall “hip” design. That being said, it’s also optimized for conversions, and isn’t flashy where it doesn’t need to be. Here’s what this WooCommerce WordPress theme offers:
- The design is clear. There’s nothing unnecessary on the page.
- There’s good focus on the center block, so all products can be highly visible.
- Everything is fully responsive and mobile-friendly.
- Although there’s no info about sidebars and widgets, there are lots of pre-built page layouts to choose from.
- The navigation is good, and apart from the standard menu structures, you can also display related products under every listing.
- It’s translation-ready.
- There’s social media integration.
Get it here Price: $59
Shoptimizer is a premium WooCommerce theme with a focus on implementing data-backed conversion optimization principles. For example, it comes with a distraction-free checkout, smartly placed trust badges, sticky add to cart button scroll, doubt-busting product details (like information on your shipping and return policies), sales countdown timers, and more.
It’s also performance and SEO optimized. For example, you can add extra text to your category pages to rank them higher in Google.
Here are some of the standout features with Shoptimizer:
- Data-backed conversion optimization principles
- Ajax product search
- Sales countdown timers
- Speed optimizations, like built-in minification and optimized critical CSS delivery
- Optimized checkout with trust badges
- Demo content built with Elementor for easy drag-and-drop customization
- Mega menu support
- Easy customization through the WordPress Customizer
- Sticky product details on scroll
- SEO optimized, like being able to add extra text to your category pages
GET IT HERE Price: $49 (List price is $99 but it’s almost always on sale)
Divi is the main flagship theme from Elegant Themes. It’s multipurpose, but it also offers great WooCommerce integration. Divi is extremely feature-rich and will surely be able to handle whatever you throw at it. Here are the details of Divi as a WordPress theme for WooCommerce:
- The design in Divi is highly adjustable, so you can make it look however you like. The default design of the e-commerce pages is very clear, with a lot of whitespace and no weird elements that would make things confusing to the customers.
- There’s good focus on the center block of the layout – where your products are.
- The theme is fully responsive.
- You get access to the Divi Builder, which allows you to use whatever layout you wish.
- The navigation structure is very good. Visitors will be able to get to every corner of your online store easily.
- You can showcase your featured offers in the header part of the layout or through the Divi Builder.
- The theme comes translated into 32 languages.
- There’s great social media integration.
Get it here Price: $89
Kallyas is a multipurpose theme that also has good WooCommerce integration (including three landing pages for your online store). This makes it capable of running your whole business site, and not just the e-commerce part of it. The design is modern and a bit more flashy, but it still manages to stay readable. Here’s more:
- The design is clear, and also capable of handling a higher volume of content and products.
- The store page templates put good focus on the center part of the layout. The individual products are presented as cards, so each individual one gets more visibility.
- Fully responsive and mobile-friendly.
- Good customization possibilities (through the front-end page builder, and multiple pre-made layouts).
- The navigation is clear, and especially when browsing individual products in the store.
- Because of the front-end page builder, you can present your featured offers however you wish. You also get access to a huge variety of supported sliders.
- Translation-ready and multilingual support.
- Social media integration.
Get it here Price: $59
07. Bazar Shop
Bazar Shop is a purpose-made e-commerce WordPress theme. It offers multiple optimizations, and features solutions designed specifically to improve conversions and make the store more friendly to customers. Details:
- The design is clear, easy to follow, but still manages to fit every important store detail.
- The center block is clearly visible, with good whitespace separation between the elements (products). There’s nothing that would distract the visitor.
- The theme is fully responsive and mobile-friendly.
- You can set an unlimited number of sidebars, use a full-width layout, and get 10 additional custom widgets.
- The navigation is user-friendly and makes browsing the store easy.
- The customizable header allows you to display featured offers (as static images, or inside a slider).
- There’s good social media integration, and the visitors can even add a product to a wishlist or compare different products directly.
Get it here Price: $64
A nice classic WooCommerce theme for WordPress that can be a good choice for bigger stores that need to feature a bigger number of products. The theme offers multiple ways to categorize your offerings and make them more accessible to your customers. Here’s what’s inside:
- The design is clear and doesn’t focus too much of the visitor’s attention on itself. Instead, it’s the products that take the spotlight.
- The center block is clearly visible due to the good use of background colors and borders.
- Responsive and mobile-friendly (with swipe support).
- Unlimited sidebars, plus you can arrange them freely.
- Good navigation with mega menu support (again, handy for large e-commerce stores).
- Sliders and homepage customization make it easy to showcase your featured offers.
- Built-in translation panel for international stores.
- Integrated social media buttons.
Get it here Price: $59
Legenda is a WooCommerce WordPress theme optimized to run different types of stores based on the niche. The developer delivers demos for a toys store, sport, clothes, candy, watches, gaming, and more. Under the hood, the theme offers all the features you’d expect:
- Very clean design that’s primarily black and white. The quality of the final effect will depend on the imagery you use in the store.
- Because the design is very minimal, the focus on the center block is very good.
- Legenda is fully responsive and mobile-friendly.
- There’s Visual Composer included, so you can adjust each of the pages individually.
- The navigation structure is good and uses clear drop-down menus.
- You can use the homepage slider to showcase your featured offers.
- Compatible with WPML and multilingual.
- There’s basic social media integration built-in.
Get it here Price: $59
Your favorite WooCommerce WordPress theme?
What’s your favorite e-commerce theme on this list? Or maybe we missed something? Feel free to share in the comments.