Lookup columns are used to get its value from a field in another list in SharePoint sites. Lookup fields also provide a relationship between lists/libraries. Is it possible to create a lookup column from the list on another site? Sure, use site columns, so that you can utilize SharePoint 2013 lookup column from a different site!
Site columns are available to its subsites, So create it in the Root site!
SharePoint Site column Hierarchy:
Create Cross-Site Lookup Site Column in SharePoint:
Why create Lookup as a Site column? Because, If it’s created as a site column, it can be used at any subsite under the site collection while the lookup source list is at the parent site (or root site)! In short, create your lookup site column at the parent site, so that it can be used on any underlying subsites of the site collection!
Assuming, you have an existing list with all available lookup values in a “Single Line of Text” column, Here is how to create a cross site lookup site column in SharePoint 2013:
- Go to the root level site of your SharePoint site collection. Navigate to Settings >> Click on the “Site Columns” link
- On the Site columns page, Click on the “Create” link
- Provide the Name, Column type, Group, Source List, Source Column values. Click on the “OK” button once done.
- Navigate to your subsite list >> Click on List settings >> Click on the “Add from existing site columns” link
- Choose the site column group in which you placed your site column, Select and Add the column, click on the “OK” button once done.
- Now, In your subsite list, You have the site column ready!